The History of Jericho*
(as far as a new character will know).
Jericho was founded about seven years ago. It is a frontier town, populated mostly by young and mature adults; about 250 people claim it as home (not including the itinerant adventurer population, which fluctuates between 100 and 150 people).
The town is surrounded by farms, run by various races; they extend three days’ walking distance from the town itself to the township’s borders (also called Jericho). The Grey Elven Forest dominates Jericho’s landscape; the exception is the Deadlands, which are to the south of Jericho.
Jericho’s immediate neighbours are:
- North: Antioch, a Dark Elven kingdom
- East: Berphaunt, a Human kingdom
- South: Duvain, a mercantile island nation of all races
- West: Styphon, the domain of the Black Dragon of Destruction
Antioch is primarily underground and extremely hostile towards outsiders. Duvain is a month’s trip by sea.
The two closest towns to Jericho are Mea Visa to the east and Silverbreach (a Suvantian city) to the west; they are each two weeks’ walking in the appropriate direction.
The High Elven Kingdom of Suvant is, geographically and politically, quite close to Jericho. However, it is located on a floating continent, and difficult for the average person to travel to and from.
All kingdoms on the continent are vast, and contain numerous small farms and villages that have experienced fortunes and hardships themselves. It is a minimum one month’s walking to even begin approaching the heart of these lands; while they technically control the land, there is no visible line in the sand to show where one country ends and another begins, and border areas are known to fluctuate back and forth between kingdoms (or not even be aware of the change in leadership).
Up until two years ago, Jericho was under the control of Suvant. After a bloody war between Suvant and Berphaunt, with Jericho as the battlefield, Jericho is now considered independent and rules itself.
Up until May of the this year, Jericho (along with Mea Visa and Galen’s Honour) were towns that guarded a Beacon, which powered a mystical Curtain. The Curtain was a visible light wall that guarded the rest of the continent from the Deadlands, a land filled with the decaying and undead. However, the Pax Morbidish destroyed all the Beacons, thus destroying the Curtain; the explosions could be heard from miles around and was visible in the immediate vicinity as a giant pillar of flame.
- Berphaunt: a kingdom to the east, identified by red and white tabards.
- Grey Elves: the mystical Elves that guard the forest, identified by elven ears and grey skin.
- Inviticus: pain-worshipping cultists, identified by black tabards.
- Pax Arcaniam: an all-female magic group, tied to very leylines of magic, identified by tear track scars on their faces.
- Pax Morbidish: an all-male anti-magic group, identified by black/grey greatcoats and caps.
- Styphon: a dark wasteland ruled by Styphon, the Black Dragon, identified by green and black tabards.
- Suvant: a floating High Elven kingdom.
* Note that this description isn’t exhaustive, detailed or even very accurate, and things always change based on player actions during and between events. Contact a New Player Liaison if you have questions!